Thursday, November 26, 2015

#Thankful for #Science and “Sciencers” #Thanksgiving

I am thankful for science and people who science. Not just because I have epilepsy and without pharmacology I would sporadically behave like an alien breakdancer. I’m not just thankful for the surgeons who implanted my cyborg hip and Alice in my synthetic hip, Trixie. I’m grateful to the material sciences who developed the titanium and ceramic substances to the engineers figure out the exact angle that the implants should good rest most strongly and snugly within. I’m grateful to the immunologist who rigorously test the parts to make sure my body won’t rejecting it.

And again, through my various surgeries, big love to the pharmacologists for the Dilaudid.

I am specifically grateful to those who science human behavior even more acutely, sciencers of the brain for making it easier to forgive people.

You have to struggle to be mad at someone when you realize their argumentativeness may be nothing more sinister than an overactive insula or their lethargy a mere underproduction of dopamine receptors for their appearance heartlessness a not uncommon malfunction in the either the anterior or posterior pituitary.

Studying the effects of brains on human behavior reminds me best we are all born in the bodies we did not design, into a world we did not create having reactions to which on one can explain.

The writer Evelyn Waugh says to, understand all is to condone all. I do not condone all but hey, I’m still studying here.


No comments:

Post a Comment